Willis IRM has been providing bespoke insurance solutions for well-known charities throughout the Province for a number of years.
Charities throughout Northern Ireland face many risks that can result in loss, damage or liability for trustees—and for the charity as a whole. Risks include a loss of charity assets or resources, damage to a charity’s property and third party liability for professional indemnity or public liability. Part of mitigating these risks is having an appropriate insurance policy. The following is a brief overview of different covers that charities should consider.
Many charities will use the services of volunteers. While volunteers are not considered employees, charities still have a duty to ensure their health and safety and give them proper training and supervision. If a volunteer is injured as a result of the charity’s negligence, he or she could file a claim against the charity or trustees. The charity and its volunteers should also be covered in case a third party is injured due to actions of volunteers. Charities should check their insurance policies for the following:
- Whether the insurance policy includes volunteers, such as employers’ liability extending to volunteers
- What the policy definition for ‘volunteer’ is
- Whether any upper or lower age limits apply
- What types of volunteer activities are covered
Typical covers necessary for a Charity / Not-for-profit organisation
- Employers Liability
- Public Liability
- Motor Insurance for carrying passengers or children such as minibuses
- Buildings and contents
- Abuse cover
- Employee dishonesty / fidelity cover
- Money including cash tin collections
- Professional Indemnity
- Personal accident
- Trustee Liability and Employment Practices Liability
- Business travel cover
- Events and adventure sport activities
Get Help from Your Broker
Because each charity’s purpose or public benefit aim is different, it takes an experienced broker with expertise in the industry to create a bespoke policy that makes sure all risks are addressed. Willis IRM has the expertise and experience to work with your charity and trustees. Contact us today.
To find out more about our Services please contact our team today on T. +44 (0) 28 9032 9042 or fill out the form below: