Home renovations can be a daunting, yet rewarding, undertaking. However, before you or the contractors raise any tools to begin renovations, you should review your home insurance policy. The reason for this is that your policy may not cover renovations; therefore, any damages that occur during the process may not be covered.

In fact, 50 per cent of homeowners are unaware that not only do they need to advise their home insurer of any potential building works, but that if they were to carry out the works, their policy may be invalidated.

When you alert your home insurer of your impending renovations, you must also specify whether you are the one managing the renovations or if they are being handled by contractors. What kind of insurance you need will depend on who is responsible for the renovations. For example, even if you are conducting the renovations yourself, you should purchase public liability insurance to provide cover in the event that you cause injury or damage to your neighbour’s property or other third parties.

Regardless of who is conducting the renovations, you should provide your home insurer with the following information:

  •          The timescale for the work—including a start and end date
  •          The cost of the project
  •          A thorough outline of the project
  •          Names of the individuals conducting the renovations


General Home Renovation Guidance:

In addition to contacting your home insurance provider, here are four pieces of general guidance to consider before you begin your home renovation:

  1.        Set a hard budget.
  2.        Research contractors.
  3.        Organise a storage plan for your furniture and possessions.
  4.        Install temporary security devices—such as locks and motion-sensor lights. 


To find out more about insuring your home correctly and our Private Clients division, contact us on 028 9032 9042 or use the contact form below.

We would like to keep you informed by email. Are you happy to receive information from us?

Awards & Accreditations


Sign up to receive our newsletter.

Willis Insurance and Risk Management, Willis Wealth Management and Accident Investigation Services are trading names of Willis & Company (Insurance Brokers) Ltd, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority - 309124. Registration No. NI 32004. Registered in Northern Ireland.

If you are unhappy with our service, we have a complaints procedure, details of which are available upon request. If you are unhappy with how your complaint has been dealt with, you may be able to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). The FOS website is www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk.

Copyright @ Willis & Company (Insurance Brokers) Ltd. | Sitemap | Customer Privacy Statements